Monday, December 1, 2008

7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

I understand the importance of being a "lifelong learner". In order to stay up to date with what is going on in the library world around me, it is crucial to keep up. After reading the list of "7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners", I see myself in a few. To be honest, however, some are a struggle.

For me, I believe the easiest habit is "Begin with an end in mind". I am a list maker. I like to be able to “check things off”, so I’m pretty good about laying things about and having a plan of attack.

On the other hand, the most difficult habit in my life is "Teaching/Mentoring others". While I do believe I am an effective teacher, sometimes I feel like if I don’t know everything, I’m at too much of a disadvantage. This mindset can keep me from “stepping up” and mentoring someone. I’m afraid I will sound unintelligent if I don’t know all of the answers.

No comments: