Friday, January 16, 2009

You Too Can YouTube

I have enjoyed visiting YouTube for a long time now. My husband and I usually visit the sight to watch silly videos we have heard about from friends. I think it's a very user-friendly sight. You simply type in your search terms and there you have your video. I guess my only criticism is that it can be a bit overwhelming if you don't know what to search for. What I mean is that you may not be likely to quickly stumble upon a favorite new video. This means that you can spend/waste a lot of time searching the site. However, maybe it's not a "waste" of time if you are having fun doing it!

Being that I am a big U2 fan, I did a search for U2 music videos. A few years back, my husband saw the U2 Vertigo tour. Here is the link to the music video of the band's song Vertigo.

U2 Vertigo Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWZ7bpfQag

I firmly believe that Bono is the coolest performer on the face of the planet...ever.

One thing from the YouTube site I think would work very well within a library web site is the "Related Videos" feature. Every time I watch a video from YouTube there is a list along the side of the page with other videos that are related or similar to the one I just watched. A library could use that idea toward books. If a patron selected a certain book within the library's collection, it would be great if the OPAC would listed other similar books for the patron to choose from for their next read.

No comments: